Sunday, May 24, 2015

Grandma Fish's Lemonade

Our kids, when they were little, didn't pay much attention to last names, so their grandparents had nicknames. My parents were Grandma and Grandpa Barn, because they had a barn in their back yard. Gary's parents were Grandma and Grandpa Fish, because they had aquariums and tropical fish.

When Olivia decided to serve lemonade at her wedding reception, I went in search of recipes that would be easy, inexpensive, and make lots of delicious beverage. Everybody wants me to boil a simple syrup! What is up with that? Why would I want to COOK it?  So I decided that squeezing 60 lemons and 30 oranges was what I really wanted to do anyway, and it would taste better in the long run. (And we were right! We made 15 gallons, and after the reception was over there was less than one gallon left.)

This recipe is so easy, and yet it makes an amazing pitcher of lemonade.

INGREDIENTS
2 lemons
1 orange
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
water to make 2 quarts of lemonade

PROCEDURE
Do I really need to write this? Apparently. I don't want anyone to think they have to boil something.

Juice the two lemons and one orange into a 2-quart pitcher. Add the sugar and enough water to make 2 quarts, and stir until dissolved. Taste it to see if it's sweet enough. (When we made this for the wedding reception, I thought 3/4 cup would be enough, but it wasn't. But everyone has different tastes.)  Serve over ice, refrigerate leftovers. (If there are any. There probably won't be. Don't count on it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment