Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Apple Dumplings

I want to give Pioneer Woman full credit for this recipe. I have modified it a little, but I would never have thought this up on my own.

Ingredients:

  • 2 cans of crescent rolls
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced into 8 slices each
  • 2 sticks of salted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of sugar (I used 1 cup of brown sugar because I was almost out of white sugar, and I am probably NEVER going to try this without brown sugar EVER, because caramel.)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • cinnamon to taste
  • 1 can (12 oz) of Mountain Dew (I used a 7.5 oz tiny can, and the sauce may have been a little bit skimpy, but there was still plenty)
  • Vanilla ice cream or sweet whipped cream for serving


Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a 9x13 inch casserole dish. (You can also use Pam spray.)

Peel, core, and slice the apples.

Open a can of crescent rolls, and separate the dough triangles. (I did one can at a time, since the dough expands out of the can and gets stickier, so for ease of handling, one at a time.) Wrap each slice of apple in a triangle of dough and snuggle them all up in the casserole dish. It fits nicely with 8 on each side.  Sprinkle cinnamon over all.

In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter. It seems like a lot of butter, but don't skimp. It's necessary. When melted, stir in the sugar and vanilla. You don't need to boil it, or stir it until the sugar dissolves. You want it to be kind of grainy. All that is necessary is to stir it until the sugar and vanilla are all wet and mixed in.  Then pour it over the apple-in-a-blanket things you made. I took the trouble to get a spoon and make sure all the pastry had some of this syrup over it.

Bake in your 350-degree oven for 40 minutes. I nearly over-baked it (too many other things happening, and I didn't get to it the moment the timer went off),  and the pastry on the end dumplings was a bit chewy. But still yummy and delicious. Serve with ice cream, pan sauce, and bask in the compliments and proposals of marriage.

If you want to see photos of the process and the finished product, google Pioneer Woman Apple Dumplings.

No comments:

Post a Comment