Monday, March 30, 2015

Seasoned Oyster Crackers

From the Three C’s Celebrates cookbook, submitted by Lee Hubbuch.
  • 2 lbs. oyster crackers
  • 1 pkg Ranch dressing mix
  • 1 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper

Combine everything together, stirring well to coat. (I usually mix everything but the crackers, and then toss the crackers in to coat them. Doing it this way means you get more even coatings of the seasonings.) At this point you have a choice: You can mix it in a large, lidded container and give it a good shake occasionally over 20 minutes, or you can put it in a roasting pan and toast it in the oven at about 275 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I've done it both ways, and I don't really have a preference, except if it's 100 degrees outside, I'm not turning on the oven for anything, and if it's 2 degrees outside the oven is already on, so why not toast it?) 
Store in an airtight container.
Personally, I think this is a lot of oil.  I think I usually only use a scant 3/4 cup. And I prefer more garlic salt and lemon pepper than this. Sometimes I even throw in season salt. But I don’t really like dill, so I never use more of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment